Consumer electronics companies and chipmakers aren’t the only players entering the wearable tech space. Nissan is joining the fray too, with what it alleges is the first smart watch to connect the car and driver.
Nissan will be showing off the device – dubbed the Nissan Nismo Watch – at the Frankfurt Motor Show. It’s Nissan’s first entry into the world of wearable tech.
Right now, the target of the Nismo Watch are drivers of Nissan Nismo cars. Nismo is Nissan’s motorsport and performance division. It’s responsible for supercars, race cars and ridiculously tricked-out performance kits.
As such, the Nismo Watch is focused on a very specific audience and its featureset is different from your standard smart watch, in that it’s less about connecting to your smartphone and more about connecting to your car.
Here are some of the things the Nismo Watch can do:
– Connects to the car using a smartphone app as a Bluetooth Smart device
– Access vehicle telematics and performance data while on the track
– Capture biometric data via a heart-rate monitor in the watch
– Monitor the efficiency of your car with average speed and fuel-consumption readings
– Get tailored car messages from Nissan